DP199/1 was built on a shortened DB4 chassis with a wheelbase of 7′ 9”, about 5 inches shorter than the regular saloon. Weight saving was achieved with the use of thinner gauge aluminium panels, Plexiglass side windows and the deletion of the bumpers, rear seats and some interior trim. Of particular interest are the cowled headlights, a feature that continued to be used through the DB4 Vantage, the DB5 right the way through to the DB6 Mark II.
This image of DP199/1 at the 1959 Le Mans 1959 24 hour race has been kindly provided by the Aston Martin Heritage Trust. The car was restored during the 1990’a by Works Service and is now part of a private collection.