Externally, the roof line was raised and a chrome strip extends from the top of the windscreen wrapping around to above the side windows. An easy way to differentiate the Mark II from the previous DB2/4 is that she side panels of the bonnet remains fixed to the chassis when the bonnet is raised. This was done in the interests of reducing the weight of the opening bonnet and is clearly visible by a chrome strips separating the two pieces of the body. From the rear, a chrome strip extends around the rear of the body below the rear door. With all these chrome strips, it is hardly surprising that a fair few DB2/4 Mark II’s also had fashionable two tone paint finishes.
More noticeable are the vestigial tail fins which were thought as stylish in the 50’s. The tiny bubble type taillights were ‘borrowed’ from the contemporary Hillman Minx.
Since the David Brown Corporation had bought the Tickford Coachbuilding Works in Newport Pagnell during late 1954, the production of the bodies of the DB2/4 Mark II was moved to the historic factory and away from Mulliners in Birmingham who were responsible for the coachwork of the DB2/4. Within a few short years, AML would move completely from Feltham and make it’s new home in the historic Buckinghamshire town.