DB4 GT
DB4 GT

DB4 GT

(1959 - 1963)

To the uninitiated, the DB4GT was very similar to the regular DB4. But since values of GT's are currently about five times that of the standard cars, we should expect a very different package indeed. The DB4GT was introduced in September 1959 at the London Motor Show, based on the race winning prototype, DP199/1. The car featured faired in headlamps with domed covers which continued to be seen through the range right upto the DB6 Mark 2 in 1970. The theme continues to this day with both the DB9 and V8 Vantage having headlights enclosed by a transparent cover.

DB4 GT

In order to save weight, the bodywork was made of thinner 18 gauge aluminium, the wheelbase was reduced by 13cm, the engine was tuned and the rear seats were deleted on all but a small number of cars. Maximum speeds during testing was found to be 153 mph with a 0 to 60 time of 6.1 seconds. It was also one of the first cars that could go from standstill to 100 mph and then brake to a halt in under 30 seconds.

Here is one of the most famous GT’s with long histories on the racing circuit, Chassis DB4GT/151/R, 17TVX. After all, that’s what the GT was designed for. The car on the left is a lightweight and was owned and raced from 1960 by John Ogier’s Essex Racing Stable. Driven by the likes of Roy Salvadori, Sterling Moss, Jim Clark and Innes Ireland, the GT was regularly competing against the Ferrari 250GT. It can still be seen on the race track to this day.

The engine of the GT still with a capacity of 3670 cc (though some had 3750cc), was otherwise extensively modified. It featured twin plugs heads using two distributors (that’s twelve sparkplugs in total) and triple twin choke 45 DCOE4 or 9 Weber carburettors plus a raised compression ratio of 9:1. Power output was claimed at 302 bhp at 6000 rpm, a useful increase from the claimed 240 bhp of the standard car.

A single large fuel tank was fitted (although some cars had twin tanks in the wings) and quick release filler caps are situated on each side. GT’s were fitted with spectacular lightweight Italian Borrani wheels; 42 spokes with light alloy rims.

This 1960 car is very special as it is one of only a very few lightweight GT’s; this one was a factory demonstration and experimental car. This car is fitted with a Zagato specification engine claimed to give 314bhp. You may notice that the car has a later DB4 grille and lower bonnet scoop and I think it has the later tail lights too. Cosmetic changes within the standard cars were also made to the GT although the GT’s are not split into series as such.

Despite their tremendous rarity and value, the GT is still a popular race car at major historic racing events such as the Coys and Bonham’s festivals, Goodwood Revival, Classic Le Mans and occasionally at AMOC events throughout the season.

Below is perhaps the most original DB4GT of the 75 Tickford bodied cars. Chassis number DB4GT/0123/R was kept by the same owner for over 40 years which explains it’s wonderful origonal unmolested condition. For many years it was thought to be lost but it resurfaced in 2004 as the star lot in the AM/Bonham’s auction in May 2004.

The true track ready GT model started and stopped with the DB4 GT; the 5 and 6 were never tweaked and lightened for the race track. The DB7 GT i6 made a brief appearance although never made production: the DB7V12 GT is a different beast altogether. It could be argued that the current model that most reflects the line of the DB4 GT is the V8 Vantage N24/GT4.

One of the ultimate Aston Martins and a performance pinnacle of the marque.